The season is here for fishing and you can hear everyone making plans for it. But as much as it sounds fun and interesting, you suddenly know that you have never done fishing in your life. And now you are yearning to be part of this all-men-squad-fun-time-fishing squad. Just listening to their plans make you join them, but then if they make fun of you or worst you make a fool of yourself. Fret not, you just get into the plans, and yes to the expedition. Remember no matter how skilful one becomes with a hobby or an activity, every one of us has started as a novice
First timer and it seems quite complicated. Well, it is not. All you need to get a fishing license, a bit of gear, location, technique, weather, temperature, the behaviour of the fish and read through all the information provided here. Trust us, you will enjoy fishing and nobody has to know that you are a first-time Angler. Just keep it simple. For new people like you, start with spin fishing that uses a rod with a spinning reel that baits or lures a fish to it. Sounds easy right, it is easy because it is one of the easiest ways with minimal investment, to get done with fishing. As soon as you get the hang of fishing you can then go for saltwater fishing, fly-fishing as well as other types of gear fishing. In these types of fishing, one can utilize different reels.
Where should one take up fishing?
If you don’t want to join the men club and want to go solo, then talk to those persons who love fishing. They would have the most comprehensive and updated information about the places where one can do fishing. Since you are a beginner, go fishing in lakes. Lakes because they have a dock or bank to fish. Also, you will be astonished to find a large volume of hungry fish in these lakes. While fishing in the river could be a little difficult for people who have just started fishing. Additionally, there are differences in the variety of fishes found in lakes and rivers.
In rivers, you will get species of trout and salmon. While in the lake you will find rainbow trout, panfish, bass
Essentials that every Angler should know
As a beginner, you will find it difficult to catch fish for the first time. If you are struggling every time you go fishing, then it is time to provide you with a few tricks and tips on how to do fishing.
- Get your fishing license and go through the regulations carefully. Here you will find all the details about size and bag limits, the permitted methods for fishing, and regulations for certain types of fish.
- As you get started, it is advisable to get one or two combos of a rod, reel, and line. A spinning reel and rod combo will be your best bet as a beginner in fishing. That can cover a huge variety of presentations. What is a great way to start fishing is the combo of a decent quality medium that can be spun into action along with a 10-pound monofilament. A small tackle box to store all your lures and bait. This box is quite useful since you get everything of your essentials in one place.
- You also need a different types of hooks to catch different types of fish. Without the hook, you won’t be able to catch any fish. Also to keep your baits down, you will require some split shot or sliding sinkers
- Grab a few packs of swivels. Why do you need them? They are great for preventing the twisting of lines. You can tie advanced rigs as similar to Carolina rig, or three-way rig. Additionally, these swivels also come with a snap-on one end, so as a beginner in fishing changing baits in fishing becomes quite easy. Get a few packs and enjoy your fishing expedition
- This thin or pencil style helps you to get any live bait fishing. Though more sensitive than the traditional round plastic ones, bobbers work quite fine when it comes to live bait fishing.
- For hard baits, you can consider jerk baits, crankbaits, lipless cranks, and top waters. All these are dynamite fish catchers. You just need a couple to start without overdoing it.
- If you don’t want to go for hard bait then you can go for inline spinners. They are quite deadly and come in small sizes. These sizes are enough for panfish as well as for the giant fish intended for musky and pike. The spinners are the bait that uses a rotating blade producing flash and thump that exactly mimics a baitfish. Your tackle box must contain at least one or two spinners.
- Fishing is a day-long process. You might get to sit on the shore, or maybe in a rowboat. It is better to bring a portable fishing seat. It will make you comfortable. Excellent thing for those who suffer from back pain
- Also, try to get a well-round tackle box that consists of a good jig selection. To fine-tune your presentation, no matter what will be conditions are, get ball-head live bait jigs to skirted bass-jigs
- Well, get the needle-nose pliers. These are the necessity when you go fishing. While you are on the water always keep a pair handy.
- Fishing trips mean a whole day outside. Dress casually and try to carry spray for mosquitoes and flies. You can go for military tactical boots, or safety boots, cotton welding pants, and safety clothing.
Follow the etiquettes
Don’t be surprised, there are etiquettes in fishing too and one should learn early on. Be respectful to the environment (don’t leave traces of rubbish), the other anglers, and the fish you catch. Avoid those spots where you already can see other anglers fishing, no using crowding the place.
Catch fishes that you know you will eat and clean the area before leaving. Try to maintain the cleanliness of the area. Before you head to fishing, remember to check on the local regulation book, or from the state’s forestry department’s website to get all the information. Do not always count on a sign to tell you information.
Additional resources that will help you as a fishing expert
- Get a guide, they have excellent information and details about local rivers and lakes. They can also guide you in reading the water, selection of lure as well as the areas where you can lots of fish for angling.
- Contact the fishing organizations that often provide fishing clinics, some places even hold free fishing days or fishing derbies. They are known to hold many other events that will help you to get in touch with other anglers. Even the state’s forestry department does similar programs.
- Don’t want to take anyone’s help for tying knots, casting, or assembling a rod. YouTube then. Yes, it is an excellent guide for the beginner. A five-minute video can be the fastest and an effective way to gather new information on fishing.
Catching the first catch
With all the information in hand, it is time to start fishing. Excited? You should be, with an open-air, soft breeze blowing away. Let’s start with fishing.
Cast your spinning wheel in such a way that you are like throwing a baseball. Don’t throw your line, just six inches of line at the end of your rod. The spinning reel employs a thin wire arm known as bail. For casting, flip this bail then continue holding the line with your finger. Followed up by bringing the rod tip up, that is slightly behind you. The cast forward by using your wrist and elbow. When you see the rod is slightly forward from vertical or just vertical release the line. This will send the lure flying. As soon as the lure is in the water, just flip the bail back over, and then begin reeling.
Next comes hooking your fish. You need to be very careful while hooking a fish, chances are that the fish might spit out the lure. Also, it might break because of the weight and power of the fish. To avoid this, properly set the hook in the fish’s mouth with the right time and right pressure. The good timing of the lure is quite important. It should sit firmly in the lip rather than deeper in the mouth. Allow the fish to tire itself out and then you reel the fish in.
After you hooked, played, and reeled the fish, it is time to marvel at your catch. Use the net to scoop up the fish. Do not flop the fish on the hills or squeeze its stomach or touch its grills. You can either it or you can release them.
Like any other pursuit, fishing can be quite interesting and fun, and adventurous for all those who have started fishing. With time you can upgrade your fishing gear as soon as you are pro at it.